The HTC One M8 has a very dazzling display. However, some users have complained about dead pixels on the screen. There are some pixels that do not light up, while some other ‘stuck pixels’ tend to be continuously and permanently on. This can ruin or compromise the viewing experience.
Follow the steps listed below to resolve the issue:
- Turn off the screen of the M8 or power off the device. Then use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe the screen and clean it dry. Now, check for the abnormal spot or spots on the display. If the spots are still visible, then they cannot be dead pixels, but some dust that is trapped beneath the screen. Users need take the M8 to a service center to remove the trapped dirt.
- If the dead pixel is seen only when the screen is on, then turn off the device, wait for 10 seconds to a minute, and then power it back up. Users may also try a soft reboot of the device, which is a simple restart of the phone. It does not delete any information from the phone. To restart or soft reboot the M8, press and hold the power buttons till some options pop up on the screen. Select the option ‘restart’ and tap on once again to confirm. Check for dead pixels once the phone has restarted
- If the dead pixels are still visible on the screen, then go to the brightness settings and keep increasing the brightness levels till it is maximum. Let it remain so for a minute or two. This will help burn away the dead pixels. Then, slowly lower or reduce the screen brightness and check.
- Users may also download an app from Google Play Store that helps find dead pixels and possible remove them from the display.
- If the issue has not resolved, then reset the device to its original factory settings. This process may not necessarily get rid of the dead pixels. But, as the reset has worked for some M8 owners, you may also give it a go. It is also important to remember that a factory reset deletes everything, including all data like contacts, photos, etc., from the phone. Hence, back up your data before resetting. Also, the reset process will take some time to get completed. Therefore, connect the phone to the charger or check whether the battery has a full charge before resetting the M8 to the factory settings. To perform a factory reset using the screen via settings,
- Go to Settings – > tap on Backup & Reset
- Tap on the option ‘Reset phone’
- Select the option ‘Erase all data’ so as to delete all data from the phone’s storage
- Select the option ‘Erase SD card’ so as to all data from the storage card.
- Tap on ‘ok’
- The screen reset process may sometimes not work, either due to an unresponsive screen or due to unknown causes. In such scenarios, users can try resetting the M8 by using the hardware buttons on the device. To do a factory reset using the hardware buttons,
- Press and hold the power button till the phone is completely turned off.
- Now, press and hold the ‘volume down’ key and then press the power key for a short time. Release or let go of the volume down button when an icon appears on the screen.
- Now, press the hardware buttons in following sequence to factory reset the HTC One M8: Volume up, then volume down, then power, then volume down.
- If the issue persists, then it may be a hardware defect. Contact HTC support or go a service center for repair or replacement of the device.