The stupendous success of the Samsung Galaxy S was followed by the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S2 which is also known as Samsung Galaxy Si9100. The S2 comes with a 1.2 GHz Dual-core processor, Qualcomm MSM8660 chipset, Adreno 220 GPU and 1 GB of RAM.
Several amazing mods and ROMS for the Samsung S2 have been launched by the XDA developers, which increase the customization levels and create a whole new range of novel experiences with the Samsung S2. In order to be the beneficiary of such exciting changes, you will need to root the S2
There are certain points that one needs to note before proceeding to root the Samsung Galaxy S2. They are as follows:
- In case the instructions are not followed to the T, then you mat brick the phone.
- One should have all the software and tools downloaded and ready
- Rooting the S2 will void the warranty, but one can always get it back by unrooting the device.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 should be updated with the latest XWKDD firmware
- One should install the USB updated device driver on the system for effective communication between the system and the phone
- The phone data may be lost and hence it should be backed up
- The phone should be completely charged
- The APN setting is needed to surf the web after rooting the device. Hence save it.
Some of the tools that are essential to the rooting process can be downloaded from the internet, from websites such as technoxone.com. The following tools are essential:
- SuperOneClick, ODIN Downloader and Samsung’s KIES 2.0
- USB Data Cable
- A computer or a laptop
- The XWKDD Kernel. It should not be extracted after download as it will be used in the Odin process
The procedure to root Samsung Galaxy S2
- First step: All the vital software should have been downloaded and installed. Once that is done, the phone needs to be put in the USB debugging mode. This can be done via, Settings ->Applications -> Development -> USB debugging.
- Second step: The phone has to be rebooted in the download session mode. In order to access this mode for the Samsung S2, the device has to be turned off and then turned on by holding down the power, volume and home buttons simultaneously. This will enable the download mode which is characterized by a picture of the droid ‘shoveling’ within a triangular structure.
- Third step: The ODIN downloader that was downloaded and installed on the computer needs to be opened.
- Fourth step: The S2 can to be connected to the computer with the help of a USB cable, while the Odin is open. Wait for a few seconds until ODIN notifies you of a successful connection of the device with the computer. The checkboxes near ‘F. Reset Time’ and ‘Auto reboot’ have to be selected and keep the default options. The ‘PDA’ button has to be pressed and then the XWKDD_insecure.tar that has been downloaded onto the computer needs to be selected. After this, one needs to press the ‘Start’ button which will commence the flashing of the kernel by ODIN. The phone will then reboot. Please do not disconnect the phone from the computer while it is rebooting.
- Fifth step: After the phone has restarted, open SuperOneClick and then press the ‘Root’ tab. Then restart the phone. The Samsung Galaxy has now been successfully rooted.
Any problems or questions while rooting the S2 may be put up at the various forums and they will be answered. The best forum to ask your questions would the one from where you downloaded all the rooting software.