Do you really need to buy a Sony Xperia Z2 os is Z1 fine? What is new in Z2 that should you make you go for it? While Z1 was launched in September 2013, Z2 followed up pretty early in February 2014.
Here is the comparison
Difference between Xperia Z1 and Z2
- Z1 runs on Android 4.2.2(Jelly Bean) while Z2 runs on 4.4.2(Kit Kat)
- Z1 is known to have one of the best stand-by times among Android phones. It has 28 percent longer stand-by time compared to Z2, which means the Z1 can last for 36.7 days (35.4 days on 3G). Z2 can last for 29 days on stand-by mode.
- Z2 has a better talk-time (15 hours), compared to Z1(13.8 hours)
- Z1 weighs 170 grams, while Z2 weighs 163 grams.
- Both have a display type of 16M colors, but while Z1 is TFT, Z2 has IPS screen.
- Z1 has a screen size of 5 inches while Z2 is 5.2 inches. Both have a pixel resolution of 1080×1920
- Z1 has a sharper PPI (which means crisper resolution) of 441 PPI compared to Z2’s 424.
- While Z1 has 2 GB RAM, Z2 packs in 3GB.
- Both have an internal memory of 16 GB but while Z1 is expandable up to 64GB, Z2 has a card slot for storage up to 128 GB.
- The uploads and download speeds are same – 42 Mbps Download, 5.8 Mbps Upload
- Both have same camera -20.7 MP with autofocus
- Both the phones are dust-proof and water-proof upto 1.5 meter in depth and for 30 minutes.
- The video recording of Z1 is 1080p with 360fps while Z2 does it at 2160p @30fps
- The front camera for Z1 is 2 MP while Z2 is 2.2 MP.
- The CPU for Z1 is 2.2. Ghz Snapdragon 800 Quad Core Processor, while Z2 has a 2.3 Quadcore 801 Snapdragon Processor
- Z1 has a 3000 mAH battery, while Z2 packs in a more powerful 3200 mAH battery
- Music playback on Z2(120 hours) lasts ten hours more than Z1
What is new in Z2 compared to Z1
- While both devices have Sony Triluminos Display and X-Reality Engine for better video viewing, the Z2 takes a step forward with Live Color LED Technology that reproduces vibrant colors and uniform backlighting.
- Z2 has a digital noise cancellation technology which works by using the headsets that come with the phone. The amazing audio experience is peaked by other enhancing features like ClearStereo, ClearPhase, ClearBass, and Xloud audio engines.
- Z2 has the best camera specifications which equal that of z1 but what takes the former notches higher, is the 4K video recording. While you can shoot 4K video recording, you also benefit from features like the ‘Timeshift option’ which helps you shoot 120fps footage in slow motion. You can also use other real-time effects like image trails, motion-mirror effect, colors etc.
- Better speaker – Z2 has front facing stereo speakers to reproduce 3D sound.
- Z1’s display problem, on the surface level was the viewing angle, as the display would look wishy-washy when looking from the side. But Z2 looks brilliant as far as the display is concerned from any angle.
- Z2 has a dedicated hardware camera button below the volume-rocker button for point and shoot moments.