The high-end capabilities of modern smartphones to click pictures and shoot videos have almost made cameras and video recorders redundant. Smartphones now use sensors with advanced technology that capture amazing pictures and stunning video visuals.
Smartphones always had the capability to record videos, but it is only in the last few months that they have the ability to record complete 1080p HD video. One may also note that even though the video quality of such smartphones is high-end, they should not be considered as replacements for camcorders.
Listed below are some of the best smartphones with capability of 1080p HD video at 24fps to 30fps.
- HTC Sensation XE: This is another smartphone capable of full 1080p HD video recording. It has an 8 megapixel camera with LED flash and auto focus. One can capture videos at 30 frames per second, but has certain issues with autofocus. The 8 megapixel camera immediately starts autofocus while recording, but has to manually maneuver the focus to a particular area. Under low illumination, the camera tends to capture videos at 24 frames per second and hence the video may have a choppy appearance to it. The HTC Sensation XE comes with the Android 2.3 Gingerbread operating system and most of the problems with video recording may be solved with future updates.
- Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000: This super gadget has an HD super amoled panel on a 5.3 inch capacitive touch screen along with WXGA resolution. The 8 megapixel camera at the back is wide angles with LED flash and image sensor. The camera can record 1080p HD video in the range of 24 frames/second to 30 frames per second. The camera provides perpetual autofocus while shooting videos and stores the file in .mp4 format, which results in a larger-sized file. There are no instances of any drop in the frame rate, unless the videos are recorded under low lights. The Samsung Galaxy Note offers stereo recording as well as the capability to shoot videos in 720p HD shooting mode with wider viewing areas.
- Motorola Droid Razr: This stylishly designed phone consists of an 8 megapixel camera that is also capable of 1080p HD recording at 30 frames per second. It comes with a PowerVR SGX 540 graphics chip and a dual core TI OMAP 4430 processor that just adds to the performance of the camera. However, there are certain issues with the sound recording as well as blurred background colors. This may be due to the fact that the recorded files get compressed while saving. Additionally, the smartphone has issues with autofocus when the camera is directed at a specific location.
- iPhone 4S: This upgraded version of the Apple iPhone 4, has an 8 megapixel camera with a 5 megapixel image sensor that has been tweaked to enable sharp and full 1080p HD video recording and get stunning picture quality even under low light conditions. The best thing about the recording capability of iPhone 4S is image stabilization, wherein one can forget about the hands shaking while recording videos. The feature automatically stabilizes the captured videos with great detail and sharpness. Unfortunately, this smartphone does not come with the ability to shoot videos in 720p HD video format.
- LG Optimus 3D: This smartphone was one of the first to offer 3D capability without glasses. One can shoot 24 frames/second to 30 frames per second in 1080p HD video in 2D form with the 5 megapixel camera. In 3D mode, the phone allows you to capture videos at 30 frames per second in 720p HD video. Additionally, one can use the many options to tweak the videos whilst recording.